Lot of people are trying harder to make way towards healthy weight gain. The weight gain process should be healthy or else it may lead to obesity. This article speaks about how to gain weight through super foods and other healthy foods.
How to gain weight through super foods
To gain healthy weight you need to eat more and mainly increase your calories intake. The main source of your diet should include lean protein. The food sources to gain healthy weight are proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Consume more of dairy products and indulge in milk shakes and smoothies. Try to eat food which are dense in calories and also include eat 3 to 5 small and healthy snacking meals each day. You should also include some gym exercises in your routine.
Weight gain – Food proportion
Your plate should have a mix of food and its composition should be as follows:
- Proteins intake should be around 50%. The sources are soy, salmon, red meat, pork, egg, kidney beans, chickpeas
- Carbohydrates intake should be around 40%. The sources are Legumes, pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, fruits, rice, etc.
- Fats intake should be around 10%. The sources are peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, sunflower oil, avocado, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds.
You can also munch upon apples, banana, protein bars, nuts, beef, baked potato chips, quinoa, corn and whole grain bread. The cereals like granola, oats, bran, multigrain, Ezekiel bars are helpful in increasing weight and fiber content in the body.
How to gain weight – Weight gain foods:
- Peanut butter is considered as super sports food. It contains a good amount of protein for growth and lots of fiber to fight constipation. It also contains vitamin E, B3, copper, healthy fats and manganese. These substances also help in fighting against few diseases.
- Oatmeal has the perfect strike between protein and carbohydrates. It’s one of the great sources of complex carbs which is required for pre-workout meal. Top it up with nuts, raisins and dates.
- Cereals are also rich calorie food. It is also quite easy and quick to make them. Chose the one which has less sugar content in it. Combine cereals with milk or yogurt, to make it a perfect blend of calcium, carbs and protein.
- Pasta and spaghetti add up to the extra calories as they have lots of carbs in it. Try to add meatballs, cheese and salad dressing on it.
- Butter is a form of saturated fat and the salted butter can help you add to your calories intake. Try to add thick butter or margarine on your bread or crackers.
- Nuts like almonds, peanuts, walnuts, hazel nuts, pistachios, brazil nuts and cashew nuts are rich source of vitamin, minerals, fats, fiber and antioxidant. They constitute a healthy snacking option and stabilize blood glucose levels and lipid profile of the body.
- Starchy food like Potato, sweet potato, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, corn and whole wheat bread, brown rice are a store house of carbohydrates. These foods are rich in fiber and antioxidants which has proven health benefits. The carbohydrate stimulates the release of insulin, which pushes amino acids thereby resulting in repairing the muscles. The body needs calories as well as nutrient from the starchy food in order to gain weight and build strong muscles.
- Dark chocolate mainly cocoa can be eaten occasionally, as it has fats as well as calories. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties and have a positive effect on the mood and health. Dark chocolates also helps in improving the flow of blood, prevents blood clots and maintains good lipid profile. Hence the overall cardiovascular health improves.
- Cheese is not only delicious but also rich in many essential nutrients. It has calcium, protein, zinc, phosphorus, vitamin A and B12. It helps in building strong muscles. Cheddar cheese is the healthiest among the cheese family.
- Eggs are rich in zinc, proteins, folate, phosphorus and Vitamin A, D, B12. The egg protein makes a perfect post workout super-food. Egg yolk is a rich source of omega 3 fat, which boosts the brain health. It also contains certain antioxidant property which improves the eye health. Eggs helps in improving the body weight.
Other than these super-foods, you can also include bananas, Whey protein, Mayonnaise, thousand island Salad dressing, Fresh fruit juice, whole milk or full cream milk, potato salad, cheese, full cream yogurt and ice creams.
How to gain weight – Weight gain tips:
- Try to drink more calories based drinks like fresh fruit juices, fruit based milkshakes, sugarcane juice, smoothies, etc., whenever you feel hungry between your meals. This will act like fillers.
- While having vegetable salads, try to add on salad dressing which are fat based like tahini, mayonnaise, thousand island, etc. Top it up with some cottage cheese (paneer), lean meats, corn, fresh green peas, flax seeds, etc. But don’t overdo anything. Keep it in moderate limit per serving.
- Consume some black bean, split pea, lentils or minestrone soup, instead of just vegetable broths. Try to add small amount of cream based soups as well, since they are have high saturated fat content in it.
- Include some weight lifting exercise in your daily routine.
Click here to know more about Tasty ways to healthy weight loss using herbs.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.