In this article, we will talk about natural ways of curing common cough and cold without any side effects. These home remedies for cough and cold use effective herbal ingredients and can be easily consumed.
Home remedies for cough and cold
Why home remedies for cough and cold ? With increasing pollution and reducing immunity levels, cough and cold are becoming a routine ailment and taking medicines every time to cure them further reduces the immunity. At times even the effectiveness of medicine reduces and one needs to increase dosage. And then there are side effects. Hence treating cold and cough with home remedies is gaining popularity across the globe. There are traditional tried and tested techniques that boosts your immunity and helps body fight the viruses effectively.
Lets look at some home remedies for treating cough and cold and cough –
- Taking hot water steam by adding a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of eucalyptus oil can help clear blocked nose as well as congestion. The moisture present in it helps in breathing easily and also loosen up the mucus formation in the nose and chest.
- Sipping Luke warm water throughout the day can help soothe sore throat and get relief from cold and cough. It replenishes the loss of water in the body and aids in reducing inflammation of throat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is another effect remedy to treat sore throat and relieve congestion. Apple Cider Vinegar helps in building the immune system and strengths the body’s fight against the virus as well as expel mucus from the body.
- Warm water gargle infused with rock salt can help soothe a sore throat and give some relief to the blocked nose as well.
- Turmeric is one of the strong antioxidant found in almost every kitchen. Drinking warm milk along with a spoon of turmeric powder before going to sleep can give faster recovery from the common cold and cough.
- Crushing some basil or tulsi leaves and black pepper along with grated ginger and eating it along with honey can give instant relief to cough. Take half a spoon of this mixture twice a day for 5 to 7 days to get relief.
- A teaspoon of honey mixed with cinnamon powder can be consumed twice a day to fight the common cold and cough.
- Jaggery paste along with peppercorn powder can also be consumed twice a day to soothe sore throat and congestion. This mix should be consumed when it is warm.
- Consuming a spoonful of brandy along with few drops of honey helps relieve congestion from chest, as it gives enough warmth to the body during winter season as well.
- Garlic pods can help in giving instant relief from cold cough and congestion. Lightly sauté peeled garlic pod in ghee and chew 2 to 3 pods to instant relief. Yes, it might taste bitter but it leaves a very soothing effect on the common cold and cough.
- Mix salt with small ginger cubes and chew it few times a day to get relief from sore throat, cold and cough. Ginger helps to kills the cold causing virsus.
- Masala tea prepared with ginger, cardamom, pepper powder, cinnamon and pieces of crushed cloves can help give instant relief from common cold and cough.
- Green tea with a dash of lemon, ginger and honey can work wonders due to its antioxidant properties. It acts as an antiviral drink against few common disease and killing bacteria, improving immunity as well as metabolism rate of the body.
- Blow your nose to get some relief from the blocked nose. Do it correctly to reduce the blockage of nose. To do this, close one nostrils and try to blow out air from the other nostrils, and repeat the same on the other nostrils as well for 3-4 times.
- Eating citrus fruits like grapefruit, lemon, orange, sweet lime helps reduce the symptoms of cold and cough. Vitamins C assists the body in fight against the infection which causes cold and cough. It also helps body to build a strong immune system.
- Eating radish helps giving instant relief to cold and cough. It helps in loosening the mucus and also reduces congestion of phlegm. Radish has anti-septic properties and is also rich in minerals and vitamins.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Even after trying out home remedies, the body doesn’t responds and if you face the following health conditions, please consult the doctor.
- If the cold n cough persists for a longer duration, say more than 10 days.
- Inability to breathe normally
- Fever ranging higher than 101 degree
- When body experiences cold chills
- Foul smelling cough
- Too thick and yellow-greenish phlegm
- Too much of weakness due to coughing
These are some home remedies for cough and cold. Click here for more such home remedies for infants
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.