Giving too many medicines are not good for kids especially when we don’t know about side effects of the medicines. In this article we will talk about Home remedies for cough and cold for kids. All the remedies are easy to prepare and the effectiveness may vary from child to child but the basic purpose of remedies is to boost immunity system in kids
Home remedies for cough and cold for kids and toddler children
Treating common cold and cough with home remedies is free from many side effects. As the global climate changes, symptoms of cough and cold are noticed quite frequently and taking medication might not be the best lasting solution. Home remedies for cough and cold for kids that enhances the body’s ability to fight flu virus is the long term solution to healthy lifestyle.
Lets look at top 10 home remedies for cough and cold for kids –
- Ginger and basil leaves, tulsi extract can be made by grounding both together and mixing half a teaspoon of honey and given twice a day to get relief from cold and cough.
- Take a spoonful of Honey; to this add a pinch of cinnamon powder and few drops of fresh lemon extract. This syrup can be given two times in a day to get relief from cold and cough.
- Home-made ginger tea can help in soothing cough to a great extend. Grate and boil the ginger and make the tea as usual and have it.
- Turmeric milk can work wonders as well. A pinch of turmeric along with warm milk can be given to kids before the night time sleep. This can be given to kids above 2 years of age.
- Brandy and honey can be given during cold weather to soothe cold and cough. In a spoon brandy add few drops of honey and give it during night time. It will help in congestion as well.
- Spiced tea with crushed black pepper, ginger, cinnamon powder, mulethi and cardamom powder can be offered to kids. This mixture has anti inflammatory and anti bacterial to fight the viruses of common cold and cough.
- Carrot juice also works wonders. Kids above 4 years of age can have the juice with very little water in it.
- Hot rasam soup made up of tomato and garlic, is a popular south Indian dish. It helps cure cold and cough, by getting the immune system of the body on the track and it also tastes a little tangy and yummy.
- The juice extracted from white onion helps fight cold, cough and congestion in the kids. A spoonful of extract can be given once a day to soothe the body from common cold and cough.
- Betel leaves water along with tulsi and ajwain also helps fight cold and cough. Roughly chop betel leaves or pan, add few leaves of tulsi and ajwain for 5 mins. Cool the mixture and filter it let the kid sip it during the day time for 4 to 5 times.
For chronic cough and cold symptoms and associated fever, you should seek doctor’s appointment immediately. Some of the Home remedies for cough and cold for kids discussed above can be made part of the regular intake to assist in immunity building.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.