This article list out the numerous Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar or Sun salutation. Performing Surya Namaskar everyday makes the body strong and flexible, tones the muscle, improves the cardio vascular health and also improves the immunity. It also improves concentration and gives a glowing skin. It also helps in weight loss and weight management.
Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar
What is Surya namaskar?
Surya namaskar or sun salutation is a type of yoga exercise, which is a sequence of 12 gracefully linked asanas. Surya namaskar is a very ancient method of paying respect and expressing gratitude to the Sun God. The Sun is considered as source of energy and life on the Earth. . As per the ancient saying of yogis, our each part of the body is governed by different and divine devas or lights.
The Surya namaskar forms an incredible bond between the warming up pose and the powerful yoga asanas. It is set of complete body workout regime. When you perform 12 sets of Surya namaskar, which is 12 sets of asanas, so you actually perform 288 yoga poses within a time frame of 12 to 15 minutes. Performing one round of Surya namaskar can burn up to 13.90 calories for an average built person. It roughly you can burn up to 417 calories in 30 minutes of Surya namaskar.
When should you perform Surya namaskar?
Surya namaskar is generally performed in the morning, during the time of sun rise. Do it on empty stomach and empty bowels. It is best when it is performed in the outdoors, open space or at a well ventilated place in your home. It helps to refresh and revitalize your mind, making you feel more energetic throughout the day. When Surya namaskar is performed in the afternoon, it instantly energizes your body and when performed during the dusk, helps you to unwind and relax.
How many times to do Surya namaskar in a day?
Preferably, Surya namaskar should be performed at least 12 times, every day. You should be six rounds on your right leg and other set of 6 rounds on your left leg.
Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar at different velocity
Surya namaskar when performed properly following it step by step with the controlled breathing can fetch you lots of health benefits. You can do it at your own speed. Different velocity levels helps in different health benefits.
- The body becomes more flexible, when surya namaskar is performed at a slow velocity.
- The muscles are much toned, when surya namaskar is perform at a medium velocity.
- The cardio vascular exercise starts and weight loss takes place, when surya namaskar is performed at a fast velocity.
Effects of Surya namaskar
Once you start performing Surya namaskar on regular basis, you will observe some exceptional changes and benefits in your body. The strong and powerful yoga poses and asanas leaves unbelievable effect on your heart, liver, stomach, intestine, throat, chest and legs, basically the whole body right from head to toe is benefited through regular practice of Surya namaskar. On regularly practicing Surya namaskar, the Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas are also balanced. Surya namaskar helps in enhancing and improving the blood circulation throughout the body. It also helps in proper functioning of bowel movements, stomach and nerve functioning as well.
Surya namaskar for beginners
As a beginner for Surya namaskar, you should always try to listen to your body. Do not try to overdo or over stretch yourself in one go and on the very first day itself. Initially, try to take some help from someone who is already practising Surya namaskar from quite some time. Start with 4 rounds of Surya namaskar exercises, and then gradually keep increasing the number. Surya namaskar starts with a prayer offered to the sun for being the source of energy on the earth. There are 12 mantras for 12 sets of yoga poses.
Surya namaskar mantras
There 12 mantras for the 12 sets of Surya namaskar poses
- Om Mitraya Namah
- Om Ravaye Namah
- Om Suryaya Namah
- Om Bhanave Namah
- Om Khagaya Namah
- Om Poosne Namah
- Om Hiranyagarbhaya Namah
- Om Marichaya Namah
- Om Adityaya Namah
- Om Savitre Namah
- Om Arkaya Namah
- Om Bhaskaraya Namah
Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar
As per many yoga experts and yoga guru, the systematic and cyclic movements along with the controlled breathing offers lots of health benefits to the body. It helps in enhancing the mental, physical and spiritual health of a person. It helps in improving the stamina and flexibility of the body.
- While inhaling and exhaling properly, the oxygen supply to the body increases and toxin gases and carbon dioxide gas is let out when you exhale. It also blood circulation in the body.
- Helps improving the cardio vascular health and also reduces the risk of heart attack and cardiac arrest.
- Practising surya namaskar every day, give a healthy glow on your face and improves skin texture. It helps in improving the hair quality, prevents hair loss and premature greying of the hairs. Is gives you a radiant look and also prevents wrinkles on the skin.
- Surya namaskar helps in stabilizing the activity of endocrine glands and thyroid glands, which in turn helps in reducing depression, anxiety and stress. It also leaves a very calm effect on the body and mind.
- It helps in strengthening joints and muscles; and also strengthens the ligaments, skeletal system, tones abs, arms and muscles.
- It improves the digestive process of the body and strengthens the digestive system by increasing the blood flow, so that the intestines functions properly. And the forward bends will increase the abdomen space by releasing the trapped gas from your body.
- It helps in treating the sleep disorders by reducing insomnia. It will calm your mind and body, resulting in a good night time sleep.
- If surya namaskar is practiced regularly, it will regularize the menstrual cycle. When regularly practised it can help in easy childbirth also.
Surya namaskar and weight loss
When surya namaskar is performed at higher pace and speed, it aids in weight loss. It gives you a good cardio vascular workout exercise routine, which will help you in reducing weight. The yoga asanas will help you in stretching the abdominal muscles, which will result in getting rid of the belly fat. There are so many asanas and yoga for weight loss, which when performed along with surya namaskar can give good results. Click here to view Home remedies for Cough and Cold.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.