In this article we will talk about Health benefits of Moringa leaves. Moringa, also referred as Drumstick is consumed in form of leaves powder, oil, paste, capsule, etc. But as it goes for all super foods, closer it is to its natural format, better effect it will have. Nutritional value remains intact in dry leaves as compared to processed forms.
Health benefits of Moringa leaves and its nutritional value
The latest trend across the globe is to take benefit of natural healing powers of Moringa plant. Moringa oleifera is also known as drumstick tree. It is the new super-food and is highly packed with amino acids. It is filled up with lots of anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties that protects body tissues, boosts the immunity and aids in healthy weight loss. Moringa is also called as the Powerhouse of nutrients or a Miracle tree and its mother’s best friend as it helps in increasing lactation in the new mothers. Moringa is filled with medicinal values, as each part of the tree – leaves, fruits, sap, seeds, pod, roots, oil flower, and even the bark has its own medicinal values. So this miracle plant can be consumed in many ways like juice, oil or can even be cooked as a vegetable.
About Moringa leaves
The Moringa leaves are small and deep green in colour and a rich nutty smell. The leaves are first dried at a low temperature, so that it retains its green colour. Once completely dried, it will reach a powdered consistency. When it is packaged and stored nicely, will remain fresh for few months and also maintain its nutritional value of minerals, vitamin, antioxidant, amino acid and the chlorophyll content to a great extent. The dried leaves are almost ten times richer in nutritional values, when compared to the fresh leaves. This powder is water soluble and can be easily used as an ingredient in any recipe of your choice. Moreover the Moringa leaves powder does not have any side effects and comparatively easy to store and use.
Nutritional value of Moringa leaves powder
While understanding Health benefits of Moringa leaves, lets first have a look at nutritional value that 100 grams of Moringa leaves powder contains –
- 25 times more iron than spinach
- 17 times more calcium than milk
- 15 times more potassium than banana
- 9 times more proteins than curd
- 7 times more vitamin C than oranges
- 4 times more vitamin A than carrot
Comparison of fresh Moringa leaves vs dried Moringa leaves (gram for gram comparison)
|Fresh Moringa leaves||Dried Moringa Leaves|
|3 times more Potassium of Bananas||15 times more Potassium of Bananas|
|4 times more vitamin A of carrots||10 times more vitamin A of carrots|
|2 times more Protein of Yogurt||9 times more Protein of Yogurt|
|4 times more Calcium of Milk||17 times more Calcium of Milk|
|7 times more vitamin C of Oranges||1/2 times more vitamin C of Oranges|
|3 times more vitamin E of Almonds||12 times more vitamin E of Almonds|
|3 times more Iron of Spinach||25 times more Iron of Spinach|
Health benefits of Moringa leaves
There are numerous health benefits of Moringa leaves powder. Below is the list of few major ones –
- Acts as a powerful antioxidant. It helps in fighting free radicals and molecules that causes inflammation, ageing, cell damage and stress. The Moringa leaves contains many antioxidants like flavonoids, Quercetin and polyphenols. It also helps in preventing certain cancer cells in the body and help in maintaining healthy cells in the body. Thereby reducing the risk of cancer and slowing down aging process. It cleanses blood thereby assisting in maintaining a glowing and healthy skin.
- Helps in reducing cholesterol levels. The heart is at a higher risk when the cholesterol level is higher than the recommended value. Many other cardio vascular problems can also be averted when the blood cholesterol levels are lower and very much in control. It helps in controlling the plaque formation in the arteries which thereby helps in lowering the cholesterol levels. Therefore it helps in maintaining a healthy cholesterol level in the body.
- Improves and enhances stamina. Moringa leaves are packed with many essential vitamins and nutrients, which help in increasing the overall stamina and boost the energy level. Moringa helps in the growth of cell and tissues and also helps in repairing any damages caused to them. It leaves a long lasting and a natural effect in the boosting the energy levels and alertness of the body. Moringa helps in improving the natural defence mechanism of the body.
- Helps in controlling diabetes. Moringa leaves powder helps in controlling diabetes and maintains the insulin production level in the body. Regularly consuming moringa leaves powder can help in decreasing the blood sugar level and overall glucose production in the body.
- Helps in managing blood pressure. The super food Moringa leaves helps in normalizing the blood pressure on the blood vessels and makes the blood flow smoothly across the body. It also helps in delivering anti-inflammatory support to the system. It helps in lowering the high blood pressure (hyper tension).
- A good detoxifying agent. It helps in removing heavy toxin metal waste from the body. The moringa leaves oil helps and also acts as a detox agent against metal toxin present in the body. Moringa leaves helps in cleansing and purifying the body so that all the functions of the body are at their optimal level. It also helps in rejuvenating the skin.
- Increases breast milk in lactating mothers. Consuming moringa causes a drastic increase in the supply of milk in the new mothers. It is also very helpful when consumed during pregnancy. As it eases out pre-pregnancy and post-pregnancy complications related to nutrition. Good for pregnant ladies who suffer from vomiting and dizziness.
- Enhances immunity. Nourishes the immune system of the body. It helps in taking care of minor infections, when the immune system works well. If the immune system is impaired, then it fails to fight against the certain infections on its own. It supports the immune system and helps in alleviating insomnia, and also protect against seasonal ailments. Hence the moringa leaves act as a disease resistant.
- Improves digestion. Promotes healthy digestion of food. Adding a spoonful of moringa leaves powder to your soups or any cooked vegetable dish can help things moving as it has a laxative effect. Hence the food is properly digested and takes care of constipation problem. Gastric issues are also reduced by regular consumption of the moringa leaves extract. It also takes care of the gastrointestinal worms and microbes. It acts as a herbal remedy for helminth worms.
- Promotes weight loss. Consuming moringa leaves powder can help in reducing body weight. This may effect may be due to many other factors. The high fiber content helps in reducing the absorption of fat content in the gut. The anti-inflammatory and anti-diuretic factor helps in reducing the water retention in the body. The insulin resistance helps in preventing the accumulation of excess fat.
These are some of the health benefits of Moringa leaves powder. Do try the Moringa leaves powder and experiences the differences within few days of consumption. A spoon full of powder can help with lots of benefits and healthy body, skin and hairs. Click here to view health benefits of Pomegranate.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.