This article speaks about various health benefits of drinking water. Drinking adequate water can keep the body away from numerous health issues like asthma, dehydration, fatigue, hypertension, constipation and many more. It also cleanses and flushes out unwanted toxin waste from the body and also help in weight loss.
Health benefits of drinking water
Water is considered as elixir of life and it plays a vital role in normal functioning of the body. The most essential component of human body is water. Water occupies 2/3 of our bodily weight. It is required for effective functioning of the body. Each and every living being on the earth requires water in some form or another to perform metabolic activities. There is no existence without water.
We constantly lose our water from the body, while we are breathing, sweating, urinating, during hot weather, and many more. Therefore, in order to replenish the lost water level, we need to consume water. Or else we end up being dehydrated. Shortage of water can lead to constipation, fatigue, migraine, asthma, hypertension and other health related issues.
How much water is required on daily basis?
On an average, the daily consumption of water for a human being is around 8 glasses. It may vary according to the weather conditions. The water present in the fruits and vegetable also contributes towards 20% of water requirement of the body, if a person has proper diet on regular basis. The recommended water consumption should be 8 ounce which is equal to around 2 liters of water per day.
Health benefits of drinking water
- The first and foremost benefit is that it keeps the body hydrated and saves from dehydration, a condition in which the body doesn’t have enough water to perform vital functions.
- It helps in cleansing the body by flushing out unwanted toxin waste from the body. It also helps to get rid of unnecessary waste by means of sweating and urinating, thereby reducing the risk of kidney stones and Urinary Track Infections.
- Water boosts energy level of the body. The brain requires water for its normal functioning. If there is adequate supply of water to the brain, then you remain focused and concentrate more on your work and be more alert in the task. If there less water consumption, brain takes it as a signal for survival threat, and starts storing more water, which creates swelling in hands, legs and feet. So drink adequate water to stay fit.
- Water aids in weight loss, as it removes unwanted fat from the body. Drinking a glass of water before meals reduces your food intake, as it fills up your tummy and you end up eating less. Water has zero calories. It also improves the metabolism rate.
- It helps in digesting the food well. Breaking down complex food substances to simpler substances and making it easily soluble, and helps fight constipation. Therefore the kidney works normally due to proper intake of water.
- Improves the body immunity against flu, cold, cough, cancer and heart attacks. It helps body to fight against foreign particles from attacking the overall health and sustain the attacks from small diseases.
- Elevates the mood of the body; if the body is functioning well, you stay happy and strong.
- Due to dehydration you may face headaches, migraine, back ache, etc. water helps in reducing such pains.
- Water helps in proper lubrication and elasticity of the muscles, thereby reducing the occurrence of muscle cramps and sprains.
- Water slows down aging of the skin. It keeps wrinkles at bay. The skin cells stay hydrated, and give a fresh feel to the skin. It also reduces the acne on the face and makes the skin look more youthful.
- Cold water bath for few minutes will help you calm the nerve system and reduces the stress level and also rejuvenate the skin. It also helps to tighten the skin.
- Water helps maintain the PH level of the body. The average PH level ranges from 7.35 to 7.45. Any types of acidic shift may cause sickness and also the ability to assimilate the minerals and vitamins of the body. Hence it becomes important to consume enough water to make the body more favorable to increase the intake of oxygen and increase the energy level. It makes the immune system strong enough to fight against disease.
- Water also helps reduce hangover symptoms which are caused due to dehydration. You feel better by increasing the water intake.
- Water helps in proper regulation of body temperature. Due to excess perspiration in summers, water helps body to dissipate the excess heat and reduces the body temperature.
- Water helps in reducing anxiety and stress. It carries essential nutrients and oxygen to various part of the body.
Looking at the health benefits of drinking water, we can make it a point to drink atleast 8 glasses of water to stay healthy and fight common disease. If you stay outdoors, try to carry a bottle of water along so stay away from dehydration. Click here to know about Cranberries and its health benefits.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.