This article gives details about Cranberries and its health benefits. Cranberries are packed with essential vitamins and minerals and has an immense health benefits. A handful cranberries when eaten each day, can keep away from lots of diseases, boost immunity, protect the heart and kidney, prevent certain types of cancer and also help in UTIs and bacterial infections.
Cranberries and its health benefits
What are cranberries?
Cranberries are one of the magical fruit, majorly found in North America and Britain. These are small ball like shaped and deep red in color and are pungent and sharp in taste. Cranberries are rich in antioxidant, vitamins and nutrients. Hence they are also termed as super food and healthful food. They are one of the common and popular Thanksgiving foods. It is also a rich source minerals like, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, sodium and phosphorous. The vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Vitamin E are present in good quantity.
Cranberries are low in calories. Half a cup of cranberries contains just 25 calories. One cup of cranberries has a total measure of 8983 antioxidants in it. The antioxidants present in cranberries are much higher than when compared to other vegetables and fruits like apples, spinach and broccoli. They are also rich in antioxidant, named proanthocyanidins (PACs), which may help in preventing lots of diseases. They are packed with flavonoids, anti-inflammatory agents, polyphenolic compound, organic acids and high dietary fiber. These components together make cranberries a power packed and a magical fruit. It provides necessary protein, carbohydrates and energy to the body.
The essential nutrient in cranberries helps in reducing the risk of certain types of cancer, improving the overall immune health, reducing the risk of Urinary Track Infections (UTI), and also helps in reducing the blood pressure. Cranberries are used in treating various kidney and bladder related diseases. In olden days these were also used to treat stomach complains, poor appetite, scurvy and blood disorders. Cranberries and its health benefits are numerous. Below are few major health benefits of eating cranberries on a daily basis.
Health benefits of cranberries
- Cranberries helps in boosting the overall immunity of the body. It makes the defense mechanism of the body stronger and helps fight some common diseases. It helps in increasing the activity and movement and also boosts the count of certain immune cells like NK cells, B cells, etc, along with certain specific enzymes which are involved in the same process.
- The proanthocyanidins pigment present in the cranberries not only gives rich red colour but helps in improving the gut health of the system. The harmful microbes are restricted to enter and affect the gut due to the proanthocyanidins present in cranberries. They also help in maintaining and repairing the regular wear and tear of stomach cell. It also protect the gut’s inner cell lining and helps in curing stomach ulcers to a great extent.
- Cranberries when consumed in right quantity helps in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body. The triglycerides and HDL level in the blood are controlled by the polyphenolic compounds present in the cranberries. This also helps in protecting the body against obesity, diabetes and heart attack.
- Cranberries help in protecting the cardio vascular system, by reducing the risk of cardiac attacks and heart attack. The anti-inflammatory compound helps in monitoring and regulating the blood pressure and also provides necessary relaxation to the blood vessels.
- Cranberries helps in protecting the kidney from various infections. The anthocyanidins present in cranberries are highly effective in protecting the kidney against any inflammations. If UTI is not treated, it will affect and spread in the kidney. And if the bacteria are tough, then there are high chance of getting the infection again in near future. Here cranberries comes to the rescue, when treated at the initially stage itself.
- One of the major reasons for consuming cranberries is to get relief from the Urinary Track Infections (UTI). It has the ability to not only heel, but also prevent UTI. The flavonoid present in cranberries prevents the bacteria from sticking itself to the inner lining of the cells of the urinary track. If they bacteria cannot attach itself to the cell lining it will automatically get killed and destroyed.
- A research conducted in 2016, states that if cranberries are consumed on a daily basis, it can help protecting the body against 17 types of cancer. Cranberries are helpful in not only protecting, but also preventing the body from cancer. The antioxidant and anti-inflammation properties of cranberries help in stopping the production of cancer cell and metastasis and slow down tumor growth and formation.
- Cranberries can help in reducing the risk of bacterial infections during pregnancy. If consumed within limit, it will not cause or trigger any congenital disorder or deformities to the foetuses or will not have any post-partum complications in the new mother.
- Cranberries may help in treating Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH) and its related disorders, due to its effect on treating the UTI. It can help preventing and treating prostate cancer to a great extent.
- Oral health is well treated with cranberries, as it helps in treating your gums and teeth and also prevent and treat oral infections. Its anti-inflammatory compounds helps in reducing the formation of bioflims on the teeth and the gums, which could provoke any tooth decay or tooth infections. So it helps in maintaining good oral health.
- Due to high water content, Vitamin C and high level of antioxidants, cranberries help in enhancing the glow of the skin. It can be the fast on the go food for skin and overall health.
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and start having a handful of cranberries to stay away from infection and having a healthy and glowing skin. Click here to know about health benefits of pomegranate.
Ask your doubts and share your tried and tested remedies in comments section below, we will submit it to our expert panel and publish if found correct and relevant.